Tuesday 24 April 2007

Why Virgin?

Is it my imagination or are Virgin Airways staff getting ruder? I am not privy to flying in first Class (you know who no go gree) and it is always overbooked anyway however I get away with flying Premium as the two smaller kids need their running, kicking and jumping space. The other two invariably end up in Economy (oh the books they will write when they grow up! Mum flew Premium but we flew Cargo and this is why we are now working at McDonalds.). Anyways I am always prepared to do a deal with them that they can have my seat as long as they are prepared to look after the two smaller ones ( I do not personally care where I sit as long as it is child free. Now that is First class).

So there I was squeezed into my Economy seat (too much pounded yam and efo) on our recent trip to Naija (note to self diet begins on return.) next to a very lovely Niaja lady. She rings the bell for the flight attendant and waited for about 45 minutes before anyone responded. She asked the lady for a glass of water and the woman proceeded to inform her that if she was thirsty she should get up and walk to the water fountain.

Apart from the fact that woman had been waiting for 45 minutes, extraction from those chairs was no joke and we were both very comfortably wedged in. I proceeded to ask that if she was not too busy could she possibly get it? She then muttered something about staff shortage and wandered off. This is funny considering how earlier on when I was sitting "up front" the veeeery nice flight attendant said the Naija flights were always fully booked in every class. If this was the case why the staff shortage? Why not treat us all like the good paying customers that we are.

I suggest a boycott let us take our ghana must go bags and fly cargo you all know we can sort out our own lunch not to talk of our own excuseee me!! pure water ok,ok, lets just make it eva water ey better safe than sorry.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pls, pls, pls, can you post a link to "If you marry taxi driver".

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

... are you talking about Virgin Atlantic or Nigeria?

cos I have the same beef with "atlantic! but that is only going to or from Nigeria...other international routes they are just brillant. I wonder why we are treated differently? I guess we don't make enough formal complaints..we should start learning too...

VN is alot better...staff wise and service too.

Anonymous said...

Here i was, PR'ing for VAtlantic....not knowing about this mess. I swear our naija peeps need to come together and form a coalition cos these people has treated us wrong enough...If i'm paying y can't i get quality service??

Anonymous said...

l totally agree with you,Virgin Atlantic is ribbish as far as l am concerned.On the other side Virgin Nigeria is getting better.

Mandy Brown-Ojugbana said...

akan. I my self am on a search for that. if u find it before me please let me know

refinedone.virgin atlantic but surley since they all bear the name of virgin standard should be the same.

uknaija said...

This is a longstanding point of aggro for me. I travel a fair bit and the treatment on the Naija flights is always different- no matter the airline and no matter the class.I've seen airline staff treat Nigerians flying business class in ways they wouldn't dare treat an economy class passenger on any other route.

I've heard friends who work in the airline industry argue that it's because of the wahala that Naija people carry with them- you know the excess baggage that they do not want to pay for and all that kind of stuff.

I don't buy that argument because I've been on flights where a whole bunch of drunken white Englishmen on a stag party was causing mayhem and it didn't mean the airline had to treat everyone else on the flight like s**t (excuse my French).

Sorry for a long rant but as you've probably guessed, this is one of my sensitive spots :-)

Anonymous said...

I AM LOVING YOUR BLOG KEEP IT UP!

Anonymous said...

Oh!my goodenss Virgin Atlantic staff are so rude!i flew virgin in 2005/2006..lagos-london n ther cabin crew were so rude wit the girls with the girls wit their over painted lips

Belema said...

Well its as simple as going to any petition website and starting a petition...you can post it on a blog or send it out as a chain email then when you have enough signatures send it to the CEO of virgin ...that should do it !
Nice blog by the way !!