Wednesday 12 December 2007

Land of The Free? Or at least less expensive?

I am seriously considering going to America in January to do a big shop,things are so expensive out here especially kids stuff.My daughter was one of the dancers in her xmas school play and the dance teacher at the last minute decided that she wants everyone in black shorts and tights,I mean tights!! In this heat? Where are you supposed to get those from? Anyway I did a brief search and then gave up and focused on getting the black shorts which I thought would cost me at the top end N2,000 (yes I am still a JJC).

On reaching the only shop I could find on such short notice in Lekki the lady promptly told me they were available and as she began to rummage through her Aladdin's cave of spandex tops and trousers I perused around the shoe section stocked with frightfully colored shoes imported from China (you know the type you would only wear once before the heels fell off) and had a bit of a laugh trying them on. I eventually spotted a pair of slippers that were ok to do the school run in only to be told they were the equivalent of £60.00! I them mumbled that they were way past my pocket and handed them back fast thinking, I could get two pairs of leather shoes for that price in England or America.

As the sales lady called me back to the front of the shop to look at the shorts I knew I was going to be in for a rude shock, I gulped as she told me the sorry pair of cheap looking shorts were N4,800. "I mean come on" I said "these are not worth that!" She replied, "ahh madam the thing wey we dey go through to get these things". I suppose she had a good excuse and I wish they would lift the ban on importation as things are still coming in, but most of the stuff is a load of expensive rubbish. And oh whats up with the copious amounts of spandex materials in all the boutiques? Isn't it too hot to wear? Or is it just me?

So America here I come. I hear there are direct flights to Atlanta via Delta airlines which I am about to explore. I can't wait to get my trainers on and walk round the super-sized malls, inhaling the smells of freshly cooked pretzels and grabbing designer bargains off the TJ Maxx rails before sliding into Macy's department store to be enveloped in wafts of perfume,fabrics delicious to the touch and shoes! shoes! shoes!I have never done Atlanta though and not sure whether to rent a car or use their transport system any advice would be appreciated.

One day I hope we will get to a stage where this trip will be more local? With all the money in this country how come we still only have two (ok maybe three) half decent malls in the whole of Lagos. I am sure the people of Lekki Phase 1 alone could make a mall financially viable and profitable?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You definitely need to rent a car in Atlanta. They have a train system and it is not as extensive as London's underground.

Anonymous said...

You need a car in ATL, for sure. You can only get around downtown and midtown with the train.
Good luck

Mandy Brown-Ojugbana said...

anons......looks like a change of plans I did not realise Atlanta was 15hrs away from Lagos I think I am going to new york or anywhere in America that takes 10hrs

Anonymous said...

It's 11hrs by Delta Airlines

Iyaeto said...

New York is better then you can hop on the train to NJ to shop at the outlets. I prefer NY to London when shopping for the kids as it's cheaper .But I'll be going to NJ between January and February.

Mandy Brown-Ojugbana said...

Ohh!!! I know, Jersey gardens mall here I come! I have never been to Atlanta though,well maybe next time.I am off next week yee hah!!

Gbemi's Piece said...

I don't know how old your kids are but definitely try Carter's. They have excellent bargains and quality clothes for children under 7. This is a really great time to shop with all the stores unable to meet their targets at Christmas. Also, yup, in Atlanta you need a car to move around.

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.