Monday 7 January 2008

Good years


And a Happy new year it is,I pray that 2008 matches all the expectations we have of it as we go about our daily lives trying to live better, be better and achieve all of the resolutions we have set for ourselves.

I have never been good at keeping new year resolutions so have given up on setting them for myself,but I do try to give myself targets to follow for the year.One that wasn't on my to do list is to have a stab at remixing Taxi driver a song I released as a young teenager almost two decades ago. To my constant surprise it is still played on the radio and requested to be played on the radio! it seems to be a well loved song plus I have had my blog friends amongst other people telling me to give it a go, here's me thinking my pop-star days were long over.

So with an open heart I gave Cobhams a ring on Saturday (he is one of the most prolific Nigerian producers around today)I had the privilege of meeting him a few months ago at the Muson Centre where Keji Hamilton was showcasing his new afrobeat record. So I asked him if he remembered the song and to my surprise he began to reconstruct drum,bass and chorus lines to me over the phone,and he sounded very excited about working on such a project.We are hoping to meet up sometime this month our schedules permitting.I mentioned to a blog friend the other day that I might not be brave enough to embark on such an adventure and then I reread one of my mother's poems.

Good Years
Bring back the happiness I once knew,
Find again times to look forward to.
search for pleasure I once felt within,
Return all that was mine,
Life again will begin.


Wind back the new years,
Rebear the old,
Turn back the new thoughts,
The old thoughts enfold.

Darken today's eyes,
Give light to past years.
Bring back bygone joys,
set death on new fears.

Dry up the tears shed for every new day,
Bring back the good years forever to stay.

Made me think..

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mandy,

Morose but powerful poem! Makes me wonder what kind of sorrow prompted such heavy emotion.

On a brighter note, I'm looking forward to that remix, girl!

Anonymous said...

wow...sis, u're too fine o. Dat pic almost reminds me of when Elizabeth Taylor was still in her younger years. Happy new year and can't wait to hear d remix of your hit song.

Mandy Brown-Ojugbana said...

wienna... thanks for the props.

Cheetarah said...

Hiya! Can u send me ur email so I can send u jerry digits? I dont wanna leave it here,or email me at cheetarah7@gmail so i have it.
Sorry i just checked this, and I see you called Cobhams already, hez rilly good to but I know music and I know Jerry will blow ur mind.Google him and listen to his work.

Unknown said...

Happy New Year Mady.

Ur Profile Picture is so beautiful. Puts the rest of us 'young uns' to shame. LOL!!

Mandy Brown-Ojugbana said...

Hi cheetarah will email u my adress thanks.

calabar girl..they say 30s are the new 20s and 40s are the new 30s..so I dont think I can put a 10year old to shame you must be too cute!!

ababoypart2 said...

Told you you could do it...All the best with remix. We belong to your decade and can always tell a good song from a not so good one. So I wish you all the best with you project. And have a happy new year.

And the profile pic, I agree with m sis - Calabar gal and wienna (the one who has refused to start a blog!). Nice picture

Mandy Brown-Ojugbana said...

Ababoypt2..Thanks for the encouragement I shall keep you posted.