Thursday 10 May 2007

Part 4 The Journey in

The rainy season routinely caused chaos in Lagos,and there was never a definite guarantee of getting to school on time through the waterlogged roads. We would leave earlier and earlier with me rushing my brother out of the house in the pouring rain. We would wade to the bus-stop barefoot weaving in and out and out of the go-slow traffic. We took our leather Bata shoes off to protect them from the murky waters. The fear of the cane was always at the forefront of my mind during our morning journeys. I would remember the feel of it on my hands, the big red welts would throb for most of the day and would disable me from writing thus incurring more wrath from my teacher. It was a vicious circle. She routinely flogged me on my left hand - the one she knew I used to write with. She thought the use of the left hand was inappropriate for writing and was probably hoping the routine caning might change me around Needless to say it didn't work.

I tried my hardest to fit in but was still, after a couple of years, like a fish out of water unused to the roughness of the school education I was receiving.I was confronted by prejudices based on my racial identity on a daily basis by my teacher in the classroom who would routinely laugh and make fun of my accent, telling me and everyone else I looked like a witch or a mammy water if my hair was slightly out of place.This not only had an effect on me but the children around me who for fear of the teachers wrath would not associate with me. As I began to disappear into myself my grades slipped and she sometimes failed me for the hell of it, which I only discovered when my mother appalled at a D I got for history (one of my favorite subjects) read the paper then made an appointment with the head of the school who marked it to a B and could offer no explanation for the failing mark.

Inevitably, I began to truant off school now and again dropping my brother off and wandering around Tejuosho Market merging myself into the vibrant chaos and wandering in and out of a myriad of colourful shops selling fabric, shoes, bags, imported clothes and jewellery enjoying my own safe company till the school day ended. Nevertheless I managed to pass my common entrance exams and moved into the secondary school which was housed in the same compound.

It was a Monday morning school assembly and inspection day. I came looking forward to my literature first period lesson. I adored literature as it was a slice of heaven reading and discussing books by authors such as Chinua Achebe who brought West Africa alive to me with his book Things Fall Apart. My former class teacher who by some bad hand of fate happened to be on inspection duty that day ordered me to stop, looked me up and down, head to toe and proceeded to tell me I was wearing false eyelashes and should report to the teacher's staff room where she would trim them for me, and oh yes my hair was a mess. Being a tomboy, only out of trousers when I'm in my school uniform I hadn't a clue what false eyelashes were.The morning was spent kneeling on the floor in front of the staff room my face red with embarrassment, pain from the concrete floor and the shame of watching my classmates walking past whispering words I could not hear but could well imagine. At midday my former class teacher showed up with a pair of scissors and attempted to hold me down so she could trim my eyelashes. I could not be still as I thought she would take my eye out .

After we danced outside the staff room to the amusement of students and staff she decided to cane me instead. Relief flooded through me briefly as the welts would heal but one could not buy another eye. As I stood with my face against the wall she chose to flog me on my back and shoulders. It seemed like an eternity, the pain was intense not just physically but mentally as through my tears of pain I wondered why this woman wanted to break me. She seemed appeased after the flogging and had a strangely relaxed look on her face. My eyelashes were forgotten. I vowed that day she would never lay hands on me again.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

i could feel the pain through the words that you wrote. i wonder why some teachers are like that. for no reason at all they just hate... i hate to love teachers cos i knwo some of them are nuturers and they help one to grow and learn but the rest are another story. my mum says a teacher can make or mare you depending on wch side of the bed she gets up from.keep the stories flowing.

Bitchy said...

It sounds like you still harbour a lot of pain from that experience. A lot of teachers in Nigeria don't seem to be aware of the long-lasting effect (like anon described) that their actions will have on their pupils later in life. Who knows what you'd have turned out to be if you hadn't had such a strong spirit or a tight-knit family?

Have a great weekend, and please keep the memoirs coming Xxx

Mandy Brown-Ojugbana said...

bitchy..the pain came back during the writing.But Nigeria has made ma what I am today tough, enduring and hopefull I lead a blessed life :)

Doc A said...

Wow thanks for sharing, sometimes I wonder how much all that caning helped, or even in situations where that long board ruler was used to whack folks on the backside. Especially at the primary schl stage, there are a lot that could have been different. I thank you for sharing it. I believe in the belief that God has everything happen for a reason. You are who u are today because of what u went through. Pls keep it coming

Zaynnah Magazine said...

That teacher had some serious issues, no doubt.

Thankfully (and in spite of her bullying) you are who you are today.

Looking forward to reading more.

CandySprinkles said...

I just discovered your blog. I'm loving it and enjoying the memoirs.
This post weirded me out for a couple of reasons. I'd just posted something today on my blog related to the use of the cane by my piano teacher. But my post was of a lighter nature. I was sort of poking fun at the whole situation. So imagine my surprise when I found your blog today and you were also talking about the same thing. Talk about eerie coincidence! I feel a little silly now after reading your post. This is no laughing matter. I honestly can't pretend to understand how you must feel as I've never experienced anything like that, not even close. But I love your attitude. It's true - experiences like these do tend to toughen the skin. You sound like you're one tough cookie now! ;) Keep your head up! Thanks for sharing.

Ogoja Princess (aka Mama) said...

cut your lashes? how babaric!

i would have loved to see that teachers face when you were on tv with your topselling singles...

im happy you rose above this experience to become the woman you are today. there is a lesson here for everyone.

love your blog. im new too. pls check mine out.

ababoypart2 said...

Pretty harrowing stuff. But like I sometimes say (or think) - as cruel as it was at the time, it possibly has made you the person you are today.

Anonymous said...

and yet, and yet...other teachers have a lot to be thanked for. I attended my school reunion in Northwood on Saturday. One of my old school friends was in tears having bumped into a teacher who had identified her dyslexia and arranged remedial lessons for her. She reckons she owes everything to that lady.

Anonymous said...

You never say anything about your Mum. Does she still live in NIgeria?

racquelle-cutie said...

i think she just hated you cos you are pretty some teachers are just like that ,they see a child that's good looking or have rich parents then they star to hate on them for no reason.i personally think its envy.
Anyway its my first time on your blog and i'm luving it ,your writing is very deep and emotional

9jamommy said...

Jesus Christ!! sounds like a really 'painful' experience, it's a wonder you actually want to come back to Nigeria. For lack better words your teacher was a real bitch. Well I guess like they say what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. Can't wait to hear the rest of this story.

? said...

Yeparepa!! Or could it be that the teacher in question was a closet lesbian and possibly a sadomasochist! Notwithstanding that is not a defence for inflicting physical and mental abuse. No. Come to think of it, that was a time when Nigeria was being ruled by a group of armed uncivilized uneducated borderline psychotic leaders. And they brought the country to its knees. They brought it so close to destitution and despair. I am talking about a time when the people (including the teachers) were seriously deprived, frustrated and terrified. So, when I think of it like that, the teachers were no longer human but had become schizophrenic as well and as sad and twisted as their leaders.

If I think of this any further I will be in tears. And I cannot wait to listen to your next album.

I am so sorry this was done to you.

I believe the entirety of Nigerias past military leaders should be executed by firing squad.

? said...

btw: I am looking forward to part 4. I guess your Dad comes to your rescue therein...I know I just have to wait and see...this is suspense and I am enjoying everybit of it.

Marin said...

Great blog! School in Nigeria....you just brought back m emories, some bad- I also had such a teacher, and some great.

Lovely deep posts you have here. Looking forward to reading more from you.

♥♫♪nyemoni♫♪♥ said...

crazy teacher! what the! Man, I have no words for her... Please post the next part soon o!

Copido said...

Those evil teachers!!! My Crafts and Needlework teacher was like that too: evil witch!!! Many of these teachers are the reasons many pupils dropped out of school. I'll sure do a similar blog cos I had a sweet revenge(lol)

In my head and around me said...

That woman had a serious inferiority complex. She was just jealous and that probably stemmed from the fact that she did not understand you.

But you sha, you were special o! Your own bully was a teacher. Totally in a class of your own. (bad attempt at lighthearted humor).

Thirty + said...

WINCH OF A TEACHER.

LOVE YOUR BLOG AND TOKSIE'S